Council Summary August 2023
by Darren Becker
To ensure members of the Lester B. Pearson School Board community remain up-to-date regarding what transpires at regular Council of Commissioners meetings, the Department of Communications and Community Development sends out summaries of the different decisions that are taken following each meeting.
Please find below highlights of some of the decisions that were taken during the August 28th meeting. Different Committee reports that were presented as well as the minutes can be found at the following link: https://www.lbpsb.qc.ca/council-of-commissioners/information-from-council/
1. The Council of Commissioners approved that the lower sports field situated between St. John Fisher Elementary School Jr./Sr. and St. Thomas High School be named the Chuck Poirier Field in honor of an exceptional former LBPSB staff member, coach and community leader:
2. The Council of Commissioners approved that effective July 1, 2023, the remuneration to be remitted to the members of the Council of Commissioners of the Lester B. Pearson School Board be established in accordance with the maximum amount determined by Order in Council 1164-2023 and distributed as follows:
• Chair: 2 shares
• Vice-Chair: 1.5 shares
• Commissioners: 13 shares
• CGTSIM Delegate: 0 share
• CGTSIM Substitute: 0.5 share
3. The Council of Commissioners approved that the document entitled Lester B. Pearson School Board Proposed Electoral Divisions – November 3, 2024 School Elections, dividing the territory of the School Board into 12 electoral divisions for the school elections to be held on November 3, 2024, be adopted.
4. The Council of Commissioners approved that the draft Lester B. Pearson School Board Commitment-to-Success Plan 2023-2027 be distributed for consultation to the Parents’ Committee, the Special Needs Advisory Committee, the Administration Advisory Committee on Policies, the Governing Boards, teachers and other Staff Members, the Central Students Committee, Students and other consultative partners of the Lester B. Pearson School Board during the week of August 28, 2023. Responses are to be returned to the Secretariat no later than November 17, 2023, for consideration of the responses. The final draft of the Commitment-to-Success Plan 2023-2027 will be adopted at the regular meeting of the Council of Commissioners of November 27, 2023.
5. The Council of Commissioners approved that the Chair of Council J. Kelley and that the Commissioners
F. di Bello and E. Bender be designated as representatives of LBPSB on QESBA’s Board of Directors; and that the Chair be designated as a representative of LBPSB to the Executive Committee of QESBA.