Council Summary September 2022
by Darren Becker
To ensure members of the Lester B. Pearson School Board community remain up to date regarding what transpires at regular Council of Commissioners meetings, the Department of Communications and Community Development sends out summaries of the different decisions that are taken following each meeting.
Please find below highlights of some of the decisions that were taken during the September 19th regular meeting. Different Committee reports that were presented as well as the minutes can be found at the following link: https://www.lbpsb.qc.ca/council-of-commissioners/information-from-council
- The Council of Commissioners of the Lester B. Pearson School Board adopted the school board’s 2022-2023 operating budget, which includes a deficit of $578,267. The Council of Commissioners also adopted a resolution calling on the Quebec Ministry of Education to compensate the school board for the total shortfall in transportation
The budget will also be transmitted to the Ministère de l’Éducation, To see the budget highlights, please click on the following link: https://www.lbpsb.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022-09-20-LBPSB-Budget-2022-23.pdf
- The Council of Commissioners approved that the professional services contract for St. John Fisher Sr. project for exterior envelope renovations be awarded, in accordance with the tender documents, to Cormier Lefebvre Architectes
- The Council of Commissioners approved that the consent of the Lester B. Pearson School Board to the proposed transaction defined in the attachment entitled “Modification to Transportation Service Contracts LBP 222804, LBP 222805, LBP 222807, LBP 222808 (2022)” be given to Autocar Royal
- The Council of Commissioners approved that in taking a position against Bill 96, the Lester B. Pearson School Board stands by its vision and values in promoting an excellent education for all students, its embracement of deep respect for human rights and freedoms, its commitment to equity, dignity, diversity and inclusion and the goal of providing LBPSB’s students the opportunity to graduate bilingual and biliterate, in English and French, in order to fully contribute to and live in Québec society in the
As well, the resolution states that the Lester B. Pearson School Board, supports, in principle, court challenges to contest the validity of Bill 96, An Act respecting French, the official and common language of Québec, where the law infringes on and discriminates against minority rights, therefore negatively impacting Québec’s social cohesion and a fair and just society for all Quebec citizens.
- The Council of Commissioners approved that the professional services contract for Maple Grove Elementary School for exterior envelope renovations be awarded, in accordance with the tender documents, to Epigraphe maison d’architecture
- The Council of Commissioners reviewed the recommendations of the Student Ombudsman and approved that after review of the specific situation and the actions taken, no further action be recommended and that a copy of the resolution be provided to the complainant and the Student Ombudsman.
- The Council of Commissioners approved that the transportation service contracts be approved for the 2022-2028 school years for the following transportation carriers: 1. Autobus Alpha Ltée, 2. Les Autobus Robert Bourgon & Fils Inc., 3. 9067-3112 Québec Inc. (Le Relais), 4. 9085-5842 Québec Inc. (Omega).